Posts tagged police
Beijing – Chinese border police detained renowned artist and rights activist Ai Weiwei at Beijing’s main airport on Sunday, while other officers detained eight employees of his main studio, supporters said.
Supporters posting messages on Ai’s Twitter account and their own accounts said he had planned to board a flight to Hong Kong when he was detained Sunday morning.
Police then raided Ai’s studio in Beijing’s Caochangdi district early Sunday afternoon, taking the eight employees to a local police station, an assistant said via Ai’s Twitter account.
Ai’s mobile phone remained switched off on Sunday afternoon.
It was not immediately clear if he had planned to travel on from Hong Kong or only visit the Chinese territory.
In a telephone interview with the German Press Agency dpa last week, Ai, 53 said he planned to open a new studio in Berlin partly in response growing interference in his work by the Chinese government.
‘I just need the studio for working,’ Ai said. ‘However, as we all know, one studio in China has been demolished and another faces the possibility of being demolished,’ he said.
‘At the same time, my exhibitions have been cancelled. It is true that the possibility for artistic expression is very small in China,’ Ai said.
Ai said he hoped to spend ‘as little time as possible’ in Europe once he opened the Berlin studio.
‘However, there will be no choice if my work and life are somehow threatened,’ he said.
Last month, Ai said he had cancelled a solo exhibition planned for a leading Beijing gallery after the organizers requested a delay because of the ‘political sensitivity’ of his work.
‘My studio in Shanghai has been demolished. You can see it’s getting worse,’ Ai said of China’s restrictions on artists and writers.
Ai has become increasingly active in China’s human rights movement in recent years.
In September 2009, he underwent surgery in Germany for a cerebral haemorrhage that he said was caused when he and other activists were attacked in his hotel in the central city of Chengdu during the trial of rights activist Tan Zuoren.
Tan and Ai tried to determine how many children died when poorly constructed schools collapsed in the May 2008 Sichuan earthquake, which killed at least 80,000 people.
Ai has gained an international reputation for his wide range of artworks, installations and performances. He was an artistic consultant for the Bird’s Nest Olympic Stadium in Beijing.
SANTA CRUZ, Calif- Are the police in your neighborhood and you have no idea why, well, now there is an app for that. The Santa Cruz Police Department, working with two recent UC Santa Cruz graduates, developed what is believed to be the first consumer-focused law enforcement iPhone application in the country.
“This mobile application will give our community a remarkable amount of information in the palm oftheir hand,” Police Chief Kevin Vogel said.
The mobile app will provide access to the police department’s scanner feed, online crime maps, videos, photos and a new departmental blog. In addition, consumers will be able to submit crime tips from their mobile phone and view Nixle alerts.
“We recognize that people are consuming information in new ways,” Chief Vogel said, “law enforcement needs to make their information as transparent and readily-accessible as possible to meet the expectations of our communities.”
The app was designed by EZ Axess Inc, a Sunnyvale-based start-up company founded in the Spring of 2009 by UC Santa Cruz graduates Kushyar Kasraie and Jamieson Johnson. The firm was a finalist in the 2009 UCSC Business Plan Competition, which was sponsored by the City of Santa Cruz.
EZ Axess is in the process of expanding the development to other smartphone platforms (such as the Droid). In the meantime, the app’s features can be obtained through any web-enabled phone via the Police Department’s newly launched mobile website http://m.santacruzpolice.com.This app will also work on the iTouch and iPad.
The free mobile application is available via iTunes and the Apple store.
Police seize Taser disguised as phone
Posted March 6, 2011 09:25:00
A device resembling a mobile phone, which turns into a Taser at the flick of a switch, has been discovered by police officers who were arresting a man over a break-and-enter offence in Sydney’s east.
Police went to the 22-year-old man’s home, in Maroubra in Sydney’s eastern suburbs on Saturday evening, to arrest him over an alleged break-and-enter offence that occurred at Minneapolis Crescent, Maroubra, on March 3.
After searching the man’s room, police allegedly found an item that resembled a mobile phone, but was actually a Taser.
The Taser was able to be activated, they say, by sliding a switch on the side of the imitation phone.
The man was charged with aggravated break-and-enter offences, stealing and possession of a prohibited weapon.
He was released on strict conditional bail to appear at Waverley Local Court on March 9.
Tags: law-crime-and-justice, crime, police, australia, nsw, maroubra-2035
Scottish police forces are stepping up attempts to catch motorists using their mobile phone while driving.
A day of action campaign, in conjunction with The Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (Acpos), began just after midnight and will continue throughout the day.
Increased patrols will be on the look-out for motorists breaking the law and will be active in enforcing legislation in order to “ensure that the message gets through to motorists”.
One of the forces taking part, Strathclyde Police, caught 118 motorists using mobile phones during last year’s day of action on June 21.
Chief Inspector Stewart Carle, area commander of Strathclyde Police’s road policing department, said: “Statistics from last year show that motorists continue to disregard the law despite increased publicity alerting the public to the dangers and consequences of using a mobile phone whilst driving.
“You are four times more likely to crash if you use your phone whilst driving, whether using hand-held or hands-free.
“Using a mobile phone whilst driving has been found to be just as dangerous as drink-driving.
“I urge drivers not to compromise their own safety or the safety of other road users by being distracted by their phone – let the answering service take the call whilst full attention is given to the road ahead.”
Copyright (c) Press Association Ltd. 2011, All Rights Reserved.
- Email to a friend
- Print this page
Just a few years ago, someone wanting to listen to the dispatches of their local police department had to purchase and program special equipment. Now, modern technology has made it possible to transform popular smart phones into personal police scanners.
Several applications that can be downloaded for little to no cost on many mobile phones stream police dispatches directly to the device, making it possible for anyone with an iPhone, Android or Blackberry to monitor police activity in real time.
The Baton Rouge Police Department learned in early February that its radio dispatches had become available to the public for free or at very low cost, and the discovery has top officials at the department alarmed, said Sgt. Donald Stone, a police spokesman.
Baton Rouge Police Chief Charles Mondrick said criminals could use the increased accessibility provided by the new technologies as a tool for committing crimes.
“I have no problem with law-abiding citizens monitoring police radio transmissions,” Mondrick said. “However, we have no way to separate the criminal, terrorist element from the good citizens.”
Mondrick said concerns for officer safety and homeland security led the department’s command staff and city-parish administrators to meet to discuss ways of limiting access to the radio dispatches.
James Leung created one of the most popular scanner apps, 5-0 Radio, in October 2009. Leung said in an e-mail from his home in London that his app has been downloaded more than 9 million times and currently gets about 150,000 new users each week. 5-0 Radio was the No. 5 top paid app overall in 2010, he said.
Leung explained his app uses volunteers with police scanner equipment who hook up the devices to a computer and upload their local police department’s stream to the app’s servers. The servers then distribute the streams to the app’s users.
Leung said none of the thousands of departments featured on the app have requested to be removed, but he would not hesitate to do so if asked.
“We take public safety seriously, and we will take off any communication that can pose a threat to it,” he said.
His app bans any tactical, narcotics, detectives or SWAT communications from being available to its users, Leung said. What’s left is the routine dispatches and talkgroups for law enforcement, he said.
But Mondrick said the ease of access to even everyday police chatter is cause for concern.
Previously, those wanting to listen to Baton Rouge police dispatches had to buy a scanner, which can cost upward of $200, and have that scanner specifically programmed to pick up city-police transmissions, Stone said.
3:10pm UK, Friday February 11, 2011
Katie Stallard, in Newport
Detectives investigating the murder of Nikitta Grender in south Wales are appealing for help tracing her mobile phone as they urge a potentially vital witness to come forward.
Police issued an image of the Samsung Tocco SF80 model owned by Nikitta – her handset has not been found.
The pregnant nineteen-year-old was found dead by fire crews in the early hours of Saturday February 5 at her home in Newport, Gwent.
She had been stabbed twice and her flat set on fire – detectives believe deliberately in an attempt to cover the killer’s tracks.
Police have issued this image of a phone the same as Nikitta’s
Police said they had now traced three of the four potential witnesses captured on CCTV images issued yesterday, but repeated an appeal for a man in blue – seen walking on the Fosse Road in Pontfaen at 5:59am on Saturday morning – to come forward.
They believe he may hold crucial information and have seen something relevant to the investigation.
The images were taken from the estates around Nikitta’s flat on the morning she was attacked.
Police have renewed calls for this man to come forward
Leading the investigation for Gwent Police, Det Supt Geoff Ronayne said: “Although intensive searches have been carried out over the last few days, we have yet to find Nikitta’s mobile phone, a Samsung Tocco SF80.
“We had a very good response from the appeals we made yesterday and three out of four people captured have already come forward. We are grateful to the local community for their response to the media appeals.
“We are following many lines of enquiry and still need anyone who thinks they may be able to help to come forward.
Nikitta was eight months pregnant when she was killed
“Anyone with information can contact us in the major incident room on 01443 865562.”
He said searches were continuing at two properties in Newport, and forensic work was ongoing.
Meanwhile, detectives have been given more time to question a 26-year-old suspect.
The man, named locally as Carl Whant, is understood to be the second cousin of Nikitta’s boyfriend, Ryan Mayes.
Police can now hold Mr Whant until 6am tomorrow after securing a Magistrate’s extension late last night.
Whant, who was arrested on Wednesday, is said to have worked as a nightclub doorman in clubs and bars across Newport and Cardiff.
Nikitta had been expecting a baby girl who, it has emerged, had already been named Kelsey May.
Lord Prescott in new phone hacking claims being studied by police
Police are taking a fresh look at claims that celebrities and politicians – including former Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott – were victims of phone hacking, after fresh evidence emerged. New evidence: Former Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott (PA)
Scotland Yard detectives said analysis of documents seized in 2005 alongside new information has led them to reassess allegations that tabloid newspaper reporters listened in covertly to mobile phone messages.
They admitted the individuals concerned were originally told there was ‘little or no’ information held by police that they had been caught up in the newspaper scandal.
Former deputy PM Lord Prescott was among those told by police he could be the victim of phone hacking by the News of the World.
Now a lord, he met the Met Police’s Dep Ass Comm Sue Akers, who showed him invoices recovered by police showing he was targeted by Glenn Mulcaire.
MORE than 1000 NSW motorists have been fined in one day for flouting laws on the use of their mobile phones.
Almost half of the drivers caught using their phone during the statewide crackdown were in the Sydney area, and mainly in the suburbs of Rose Bay, Hurstville and Surry Hill.
Operation Compliance, held yesterday, was one of a regular one-day traffic operation targeting the use of handheld mobile phones while driving and school-zone traffic offences.
A total of 1199 motorists were each fined more than $250 and lost three demerit points for using a handheld mobile while driving.
Just over 500 motorists were caught speeding in school zones, with more than 150 of those in the state’s north.
A further 134 traffic infringement notices were issued to drivers committing children’s crossing offences.
NSW Police Traffic Services Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, said motorists were still not getting the message.
“Using a mobile phone while driving is extremely dangerous,” he said in a statement.
“It’s a major distraction which can – and does – lead to deaths on our roads, yet some motorists seem to think it’s their right.”
The next Operation Compliance will be held later this year.
A YOUTH, 14, was threatened and robbed while waiting at the North Haven railway station, on Wednesday, May 6, at 4pm.
After a group of eight youths exited a train, two of the group approached the victim, demanded his mobile phone and threatened to assault him.
The victim, from North Haven, handed over the phone without injury.
Police described the suspects as Caucasian, male, 19 years, 183cms, one with a skinny build, tanned skin, shoulder length blonde dread locks and wearing a bright coloured hooded jumper.
The other youth had a stocky build, dark short hair, tanned skinned wearing dark hooded jumper.
FOUR shops at the West Lakes Shopping Centre had cash stolen in an early morning crime spree on Wednesday, May 6.
The thief entered the shops, located outside the main shopping compelex by jemmying the doors and stole small amounts of petty cash from cash registers in each premises, before 3.30am.
Police described the suspect as Caucasian, medium build, 170cms, mid 20s, wearing a black top with a white rectangular patch on right arm, black pants, gloves, a blue baseball cap and carrying a white bag.
A white older style Magna sedan, with unknown registration, was seen leaving the centre around 3.30am.
A SEMAPHORE man allegedly punched a city business owner in the face, damaging his glasses, during a violent robbery on North Tce.
A man, 24, allegedly walked into the business on May 5, about 10am, and stole property.
He was charged with theft, disorderly behaviour, assault, property damage and breaching bail.
AMONG the breakins reported to Port Adelaide Police (May 6-11):
Alberton Sussex St: house, unlocked door, cash.
Glanville Hart St: surgery, broke door, cash.
Gillman Wilkins Rd: building, cut fence, tyre.
North Haven France Three Crt: house, entry unknown, cash.
Port Adelaide Formby Cr: house, entry unknown, purse, drivers licence, credit card, St Vincent’s St: shop, entry unknown, cash, camera, laptop computer, Commercial Rd: shop, broke door, watch.
Queenstown Port Rd: shed, jemmied door, vehicle.
Taperoo Moldavia Wk: house, jemmied door, cash.
Semaphore South Ullah Pl: flat, broke door, laptop computer.
West Lakes West Lakes Blvd: shop, unknown entry, cash, West Lakes Blvd: shop, jemmied door, cash, Sportsman Drv: flat, medicine, cash.
Call BankSA Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Comments | Share | Print | Benazir assassination probe: Pak ATC extends remand of detained police duo 2011-01-22 14:10:00
In the latest development in the Benazir Bhutto assassination case, a special Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) of Pakistan has extended the physical remand of two former police officials, Saud Aziz and Khurram Shahzad, for ten days.
Earlier, FIA prosecutor Chaudhry Zulfiqar had acquired an eight-day physical remand of Saud- a former Rawalpindi City Police Officer (CPO) and Shahzad- a former Superintendent of Police (SP) at Rawal Town, for the recovery of the mobile phone sets the two officers used on the day of Benazir’s murder.
On Saturday (today), the Federal Investigation Agency produced the accused before the court and pleaded for a ten-day extension in their physical remand, SAMAA TV reports.
Former Rawalpindi police chief Aziz told the court that he had provided his mobile phone to the investigation team, which was in use on December 27, 2007, the day former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was assassinated.
Aziz’s counsel, Wahid Anjum, argued that there was no such technology anywhere in the world that could retrieve data from a mobile phone.
However, FIA prosecutor Chaudhry Zulfiqar told the court that the SIMs handed over to the agency were not used by Aziz or Shahzad that day.
The court subsequently extended the physical remand of both the cops, and handed them over to the FIA. (ANI)
All About: Rawalpindi
Comments | Share | Print |